Announcing the 2022 Designed by Community RFP for Non-Profit Community Based Organizations
We are searching for a host non-profit community-based organization that is interested in expanding their internal capacity to directly engage community leaders in designing and developing hyper-local community-centered projects using Service Design methodologies.
The Mayor’s Fund to Advance New York City, for the benefit of the Mayor’s Office for Economic Opportunity’s Service Design Studio, has released an RFP to contract with a non-profit community-based organization for the second service design based Designed by Community Fellowship Program. The host non-profit community-based organization will support the Designed by Community Fellowship Program’s initial planning, outreach, participant selection, program development and delivery, administer stipends and project funds, and support the implementation of Designed by Community projects under the Fellowship. This program has been generously supported by Citi.
The deadline to apply is February 21, 2022 at 11:59pm ET.
Find more details about the RFP and needed submission materials on the Mayor’s Fund Site at on.nyc.gov/3quROdv
Who is eligible to apply?
The RFP seeks host non-profit community-based organizations that are invested in building up additional skills in community engagement and design strategy while supporting the development of their community network and the community-led projects that emerge during the course of the Fellowship.
Host organizations must be interested in exploring one or more of the following action areas:
- Bridging the digital divide
- Supporting community mental health
- Amplifying community wellness and joy
- Addressing the child care burden
- Space activation / public safety
- Youth engagement
- Service connection (access to public services)
- Workforce development
Host organizations must be certified as a 501(c)3 not-for-profit community based organization located in New York City and serving New Yorkers and a mission that focuses on bettering the lives of low-middle income New Yorkers or communities who have been historically marginalized.
What can I expect?
The goals of the Service Design Studio, partnering non-profit community based organization, and Designed by Community Program Fellows are outlined below, with attention to:
- Design Research and Outcome Development: Support the development of community-designed solutions for community defined needs as defined through design research.
- Strengthen Community Partnership: Desire to strengthen their existing partnerships with Community Leaders in their network.
- Enhance Designed by Methods for Community Led Project Initiatives: Desire to learn, reflect on, and support the development of a “designed by” process.
- Support Professional Development / Capacity: Ability to use design enhanced tools to facilitate community centered vision making when developing new projects.
What is the RFP timeline?
Request for Proposal publicized on Mayor’s Fund website:
January 10, 2022- February 21, 2022, 11:59pm ET
Information sessions for interested non-profit community based organizations (bit.ly/dxcinfo2022)
- January 20, 2022, 12–1pm
- January 27, 2022, 6–7pm
Deadline for questions submission to FundRFP@cityhall.nyc.gov
January 31, 2022, 5pm EST
Answers to Q&A posted to Mayor’s Fund website
February 7, 2022
Request for Proposal submission deadline
February 21, 2022, 11:59pm EST
Where to Apply
More information on the RFP and how to apply can be found at the Mayor’s Fund Site.
Questions regarding the RFP must be submitted in writing to FundRFP@cityhall.nyc.gov by 5pm EST on January 31, 2022.
Please indicate “Designed by Community RFP Question” in the subject line. Questions will be posted on the Mayor’s Fund Site by 5pm on February 7, 2022.
Proposals for the RFP must be submitted in a single PDF file to FundRFP@cityhall.nyc.gov by February 21, 2022 at 11:59pm EST. Please indicate “Designed by Community RFP Response” in the subject line.